Consulting & Development
Our developers are thoughtful, thorough, and deliver solid, well documented and tested results. We’re also adept at integrating with new teams, company cultures and business contexts.
See examples of our previous work or focus on our areas of expertise.
UI, UX and Frontends
- Well tested, robust and properly documented frontends in React, Ember, Svelte, and Vanilla Web.
- Evaluation of your service design and business processes in a technical context, expert problem-solving advice.
- UI and UX consulting, with rapid iterations over user flows with clickable mockups.
Get in touch now to talk through your individual needs
Secure and Reliable Backends
- Built with Node.js and Erlang.
- We can start from scratch, improve your existing setup, or re-architect legacy code.
- Scaling to even the most challenging sizes.
- Maintaining service uptime and low latencies.
Contact us to discuss backend development
Databases, Caches, Storage, Queries, Search
- 20 years of experience in building databases and data driven software.
- We cover data storage and management, query optimisation, capacity planning and caching.
- Highly available, redundant, distributed systems.
- Specialised in Apache CouchDB, MySQL, Redis, memcached, ElasticSearch, Solr and Lucene.
Inquire about database consulting
A Selection of our Work
- We helped build robust, offline-capable web-apps and infrastructure to track and monitor individual infection cases during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa, and also contributed to the management software for the first Ebola vaccine trials.
- We reverse-engineered an undocumented, unsourced and unmanaged REST-Service for one of the largest global vehicle manufacturers and made the lost resources systematically available again. This was just a side task within the larger project of helping with the service design of four user-facing prototype services, and building their entire frontends.
- We fielded a small team-in-a-team to help a large digital agency ship their deliverables for one of their clients on time. We integrated tightly with the existing agile team, onboarded in record time, worked remote and on-premise, and helped drive the product forward in direct communication with both the agency and the client.
- We rapidly prototyped a React application with a German financial institution, raising it up on solid foundations (tests, storybook, detailed documentation) quickly, and iterating over complex UI components as the product vision was gradually refined.
- We extended an existing open-source database with a bespoke in-house plugin to handle a large industrial company’s specific database-related needs, interfacing with a previously unsupported API and thus avoiding a complex and costly migration process.
Our developers are competent, friendly and flexible, and can jump into agency and corporate situations with confidence and ease.
Work engagement options scale flexibly from short-term help for your existing team to fielding the technical division for your startup and anything in between.
The team is accustomed to remote work and can travel for initial onboarding workshops.
Let’s discuss working together
Other Engagements and Activities
Our developers have an extensive track record of Open Source work and community engagement:
- We’ve contributed to the CouchDB, PouchDB and the MySQL database projects, as well as the Jekyll Static Site Generator.
- We’ve contributed to the PHP, Node.js, Rust and Go programming languages.
- We’ve worked with standards organisations like the W3C and the ISO SQL committee.
- A team member created mustache.js, one of the first major server-side JS templating libraries.
- We initiated the Semantic Release project for automating software package releases and built the Greenkeeper service, pioneering automated dependency updates.
- We support the developer community by starting and co-organising conferences and meetups like Berlin.js, up.front and JSConf EU. We also support community spaces like Co-Up Berlin and advise other organisers on how to stage successful events.
- We are frequent speakers on a variety of topics at all sorts of industry events, including OSCON, ApacheCon, Velocity, JSConfs around the world, FullStackFest, NodeConf, JS Kongress, Fronteers, Web Directions, ColdFront and many more.